A Visual Look Into the History of Central State Hospital
This Album Contains Letters, Photographs and Mementos
Cover Letter of First Annual Report to the Governor of Kentucky (November 28, 1873)
Letterhead From Asylum (1880)
Report on Investigation Into Drowning Death of a Patient (1882)
Colorized Version of the 1884 Photograph of the Asylum.
Letter from the Asylum, signed by W. F. Boggins (Circa 1884)
Original Architectural Drawing of Pusey Building (Circa 1896)
Postcard from the Central Kentucky Asylum for the Insane (Postmarked August 6, 1908)
Gatefold Photograph, Administration Building (From the 1907-09 Annual Report)
1907-09 Annual Report
Superintendents and Assistant Physicians (From a 1914 Annual Report)
Postcard, Central Insane Asylum, Lakeland, Ky (Circa 1920’s)
Letter from Assistant Superintendent C.B. Dunn to Dr. Edward Davenport of Eastern State Hospital (1925)
Leist General Store (The store operated across from Central State on Lakeland Road from about 1892 until 1970 and is now a private residence, Circa 1925)
Letter to Central State superintendent Dr. J. Ernest Fox, From Superintendent Dr. Fred G. LaRue of Eastern State Hospital Concerning an Incoming Transfer Patient (1931)
Letter from Superintendent Dr. W.A. Quinn to Dr. Elijah Maggard of Eastern State Hospital, Maggard would succeed Quinn as Central State Hospital Superintendent Later That Year (1933)
An Issue of the Lakeland Echo, an In-House Publication Written by the Patients at Central State Hospital (December 1943)
Colorized Photo of Administration Building (Circa 1953)
A cruise sticker from luggage that once belonged to Mr. George Stevens. Dated September 6, 1956 and addressed to Central State Hospital, Lakeland, Kentucky. This suitcase was purchased by a lady at an antique store, and sent us this photo.
A group of Kentucky Mental Health professionals on a trip to St. Lawrence State Hospital in New York. – July 1960. Among them, Clarence Barton, the chaplain at CSH (2nd from the left) and Superintendent Dr. Walter Fox. (5th from the right).
Newspaper advertisement for 1988 auction.*
Quilt Crafted by Central State Hospital Patients in an Art Therapy Class (1988)
“Central Kentucky Insane Asylum – 1899” in pencil and crayon by artist Charles Edward Hughs Jr. (Date unknown)
University of Louisville students exploring a part of the Administration Building for a Louisville Cardinal newspaper article (October 1996)
Memorial brick from the old administration building. Celebrating Central State Hospital’s 125th anniversary in 1998.
Visitor’s Guide to Central State Hospital (2005)
Dedication Plaque for the Dr. Edward Colman Frank Library (2005)
Example of Restraints and Straight Jacket Once Used at Central State Hospital (2005)
Contributed by Jay Gravatte | firstname.lastname@example.org
Important note: If you would like to use any information on this website (including text, bios, photos and any other information) you must first contact us . Some information is courtesy of other sources (of which are cited) and as such we do not own some of the copyrighted text or photos. Please remember that information contained on this site, authored by us, is provided under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License .