Hazelwood State Tuberculosis Sanitorium

(From the Courier-Journal, Louisville, Kentucky, 18 August 1913)

History



(From the Bourbon News, Paris, Kentucky, 31 January 1919)

The District Two Tuberculosis Sanatorium located in Louisville opened in 1907 thanks, in part, to the Kentucky Anti-Tuberculosis Association. Hazelwood Sanatorium has had a number of names and purposes over the years. After a fire in 1915 which destroyed the original hospital, efforts were quickly made to rebuild and replace. In the early 1970s, Hazelwood Sanatorium followed the same path that many other tuberculosis hospitals did and ceased to operate as a treatment facility for tubercular cases. This was objected by some physicians as they felt the need existed to maintain a facility for treating tuberculosis despite advances in treatments. It was later refurbished to house individuals with developmental disabilities and as a replacement for the crib units at Kentucky’s Frankfort State Hospital. Hazelwood had a peak of approximately 200 patients in the middle of the century and operates today as Hazelwood Intermediate Care Facility (main building only).


Hazelwood as a tuberculosis sanatorium.
Hazelwood Sanatorium, Circa 1944. (From the Courier-Journal, Louisville, Kentucky)

The Elks Building built in 1946, is scheduled for demolition by the end of 2018. The Mack Hill building at Hazelwood was built around 1950s as a school for the juvenile TB patients and was demolished just this month.


Hazelwood Sanatorium in 1969. (From the Courier-Journal, Louisville, Kentucky, 19 May 1969)

While The Elks Building did not meet the same National Historical Register criteria for sanatorium architecture as Waverly, London, Ashland and Madisonville, it’s legacy no less important to the patients within her walls. Perhaps someday, we can learn to repurpose these remarkable structures and pay tribute to them in the history of Kentucky.


(From the Courier-Journal, Louisville, Kentucky, 8 October 1922)


Hazelwood Sanatorium Administration Building and Infirmary. (From the Hopkinsville Kentuckian, Hopkinsville, Kentucky, 10 August 1915)



(From the Kentucky Medical Journal)


Contributed by Hope M. Bryant & Shawn Logan | contact@kyhi.org


Important note:
If you would like to use any information on this website (including text, bios, photos and any other information) we encourage you to contact us. We do not own all of the materials on this website/blog. Many of these materials are courtesy of other sources and the original copyright holders retain all applicable rights under the law. Please remember that information contained on this site, authored/owned by KHI, is provided under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.


Photographs, text, illustrations and all other media not authored by KHI belong to their respective authors/owners/copyright holders and are used here for educational purposes only under Title 17 U.S. Code § 107.

Creative Commons License
Protected by Copyscape